A properly working garbage disposal is essential for a smoothly running kitchen. Without it, cleaning up after cooking can quickly turn into a burdensome task. When your garbage disposal clogs and causes your sink to back up, it is crucial to identify and resolve the problem as soon as possible. Here’s what you need to know about how to fix a clogged garbage disposal and prevent it from happening again:
Causes of Garbage Disposals Backing Up into a Sink
Kitchen sinks endure significant wear and tear due to constant use and abuse. Many individuals frequently utilize their kitchen sink but often neglect its maintenance and care. Therefore, when it eventually malfunctions, it should not catch you off guard. However, a dysfunctional kitchen sink has the potential to disrupt the functioning of your entire home.
To resolve a backed-up garbage disposal that affects your sink, it is crucial to identify the root cause. Here are several common factors that can lead to a garbage disposal backup:
- Clogged garbage disposal – Any substance that is put down a sink drain has the potential to cause a clog. The accumulation of food and other materials in the disposal can lead to buildup over time, which eventually results in blockage.
- Drain pipe issues – When your drain is having problems, it can cause your garbage disposal to back up into the sink. In some cases, this can be caused by a broken pipe or clog in the drain line.
- Damaged garbage disposal – If the disposal is damaged or malfunctioning, it may not be able to handle larger items that are put into it. This can lead to the disposal becoming clogged and ultimately resulting in a backup.
How to Fix a Garbage Disposal Backing Up into Your Sink
While plumbing problems may not come with many silver linings, there is a good chance that you can resolve a garbage disposal backup on your own. Here are a few effective methods to prevent your garbage disposal from causing backups in your sink.
Garbage Disposal Fixes
- Clear out stuck material – If you notice that the garbage disposal is backed up due to debris or food particles getting stuck, you can try removing them with a pair of pliers. Be sure to use caution when doing this as it can be dangerous if done incorrectly. Always cut the power to the garbage disposal so it can not accidentally turn on.
- Fix clogs – If a clog is the culprit, you can try using a plunger or a snake to clear it out. It may also be necessary to take apart the piping and inspect it for any obstructions.
If your attempts to clear a clogged garbage disposal unit and search for food have proven fruitless, it may be time to seek professional assistance. A skilled plumber, like Bodenheimer Plumbing Services, can effectively repair your malfunctioning disposal or install a new one. Signs that indicate the need to contact a plumber include a humming but non-grinding disposal, unusually loud grinding noises, leaks beneath the disposal, and unexpected shutdowns. Remember, professional help is just a phone call away!
How to Prevent a Garbage Disposal from Backing Up into Your Sink
When it comes to appliance problems, it’s always best to prevent rather than repair. To avoid your garbage disposal backing up into the sink in the first place, develop these good habits:
- Dispose of food waste properly – Never try to put anything solid down the disposal. This includes bones, coffee grounds, eggshells, and grease. Instead, dispose of these items in the trash.
- Regularly clean and maintain the disposal – The best way to keep your disposal working and odor-free is to regularly clean it. You can do this by grinding up ice cubes and lemon rinds, which helps remove buildup, as well as a regular cleaning with vinegar, baking soda, and other natural cleaners.
- Use a food catcher – A food catcher is designed to catch any food particles or debris that goes down the drain. This can help prevent clogs and backups in your garbage disposal.
Broken Garbage Disposal? Reach out to Bodenheimer Plumbing Services for Prompt Assistance!
Bodenheimer Plumbing Services is here to help you with all of your plumbing needs, including garbage disposal repair and installation. We are committed to providing excellent customer service and will ensure that your plumbing system runs efficiently and safely. Reach out today for fast repairs or installations! Our experienced plumbers will be able to identify the root cause of the problem quickly and provide lasting solutions.